Jaggery is unrefined sugar, which is obtained from raw, concentrated sugar cane juice. It’s prepared by boiling sugarcane juice till it solidifies and then put into blocks.
Jaggery sweets and edibles have been all time favorites since the very old times. It is a traditional Indian preparation from sugar cane, not very popular among the America, but Asians love this custom made sugary treat not only cause of their taste but the health perks they offer.
From olden days people used to take small bite of jaggery after their meal. Although there are alternative sources such as date palm or coconut sap, the most common source used is sugar cane. Jaggery is best consumed during winter season since winter is the season of fresh jaggery.
Health benefits of jaggery are numerous and this natural sweetener keeps body warm and boosts immunity. Let’s see some facts that we probably miss to perceive about jaggery.
· Purifies blood: Regular consumption of jaggery helps in purification of blood.
· Prevents constipation: Jaggery helps to prevent constipation by stimulating bowel movements.
· Cleanses the liver: By flushing out harmful toxins, jaggery helps in detoxification of liver.
· Cools the stomach: Jaggery retains the normal body temperature which in turn cools the stomach. Drinking jaggery soaked in cold water during summer months cool off the body.
· Provides nourishment to skin: The presence of vitamins and minerals nourish the skin which imparts hydrated and glowing look.
· Benefits respiratory system: It is advised to consume jaggery along with sesame seeds for wonderful benefits of respiratory system.
· Relieves joint pain: Jaggery provides much-needed relief from aches and pains in your joints.
· Reduces water retention: As a good source of potassium, jaggery helps in managing weight by reducing extra water retention in the body.
· Helps to fight anemia: The richness of iron and folates present in them helps in reduction of anemic symptoms. It also helps during pregnancy to maintain the normal count of red blood cells.
· Eases menstrual pain: The natural sweetener is real soother for menstrual problems. Eating a small piece of jaggery combat symptoms and cramps of Pre-Menstrual Syndrome.
There is a possible chance that people avoid
consumption of jaggery due to its raw appearance. But, after knowing the
amazing benefits of this natural sweetener you may never ever be reluctant to
have a tiny bite! As you can see, adding a piece of jaggery can be a marvelous
idea as there are numerous health benefits and also very few adverse effects.
Although there are not any notable side effects for consuming jaggery, but note that it has high calorie packed in them. It contains 4 kilo calories per gram. So, people who are on a weight loss diet or diabetic should cut down the consumption of jaggery as it can lead to weight gain and inconstancy in blood sugar levels.
Consumption of jaggery must be subjected under the health status of a person, whether he/she is diabetic, their daily sugar intake, other health problems etc. But the happy fact is this traditional sugar preparation is very safe than the artificial sugar agents added on confectioneries and sweets.
“Never judge a book by its cover’’ this saying has been literally approved by the jaggery and its health benefits. It doesn’t look fancy but it really packs in a punch for a healthy hit over your body. Next time when roll on shopping wheel don’t forget this sugary friend.